Installing Read and Write Gold and Fixing Installation Issues
- Connect to the Internet on Clemson's campus (preferably a wired Ethernet connection) or connect to the Clemson VPN if you are off-campus. Here are instructions for connecting to the Clemson VPN: https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=64
- Connect to the software repository. Here is how to do so on Windows (https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=116) and Mac (https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=141)
- Double click on the "Read and Write Gold" folder
- Double click on either the "Windows" or "Mac OS" folder
- For Mac, double click the "Read & Write Gold 7" and run the "Clemson University Read Write.pkg" file. The installer should guide you through the rest of the steps. Once this is finished, you can open Read and Write from your folder. The rest of this document will pertain to resolving issues on the Windows version of the installer.
For Windows, double click the "Read & Write Gold 12" and run the "RWGold 12.exe" file. The installer should guide you through the rest of the steps. Once this is finished, you can open up Read and Write from your Start menu or desktop. The rest of this document will pertain to resolving issues on the Windows version of the installer.
- If you open the software and notice that some of the functionality is limited (i.e. only about 3 buttons are lit up) or are getting a licensing error, continue reading. If you experience any further issues, take your computer to the CCIT Support Center on the 2nd floor of Cooper Library, as this is probably something specific to your machine. Their hours are located here: http://ccit.clemson.edu/support/
- Click on your Start button or press the Windows key and type in "regedit". Open the "regedit" program. You may be asked if you are sure you wish to open this program. Click "Yes".
If you are running Windows 64-bit (you most likely are), click the arrow to the left of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", then the arrow to the left of "SOFTWARE" that appears under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", and continue for the following: WOW6432Node -> Texthelp -> Read&Write. For 32-bit Windows users, follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARETexthelpRead&Write
- What you should notice is that under Texthelp, there are folders called "Read&Write" and "Read&Write 12". If you see this, right click on "Read&Write" and click "Delete" to remove the folder. If you only see 1 folder listed, do not delete the folder and instead bring your computer to the CCIT Support Center. While in the Registry Editor, please do not delete or change anything else other than the "Read&Write" folder, as this may cause issues with your Windows operating system.