HOW TO: Request a Resource Calendar in Exchange
How to request a new Exchange resource calendar.
Requesting a new Exchange resource calendar is a straight forward process. However, a bit of information must be collected before we can begin. Below is a guide to help you gather the proper information needed to create a new resource for you and your staff.
Choose a resource name.
- You will need to pick a name that aligns with Clemson’s naming conventions. (See Naming Conventions section below for extra details how to choose names, basic rules as follows.)
- Resource names MUST be 20 Characters or less. This is a hard-limit, there cannot be exceptions.
- Room Resources must start with the building code.
- Departmental Calendars or other miscellaneous calendars must start with the department number that owns them.
Choose users that need access.
- You will need to gather a list of usernames (The part before the”@” in your Clemson email address) of those that need access to this new resource.
- Usernames must be enabled and active Exchange users. (You can find them in the Global Address list (GAL) within Outlook.)
- Student or Gmail accounts cannot be added to exchange resources.
Decide what level of access your users need.
Next, you will need to pick what level of access your Staff will need while using this resource. Typically, the two most common permissions used are:
- Editor (Read and Write)
- Reviewer (Read Only)
Decide what function level you need.
There are two options currently for resources.
- Standard – Users are able to directly add or send a Meeting Request via the Resource attendant to add meetings.
- Moderated- Users will send meeting requests via the resources attendant which will be forwarded to selected moderators for approval.
Make the request.
Collect your Data and send the request to firstname.lastname@example.org (with “New Resource request” as the subject). Here’s an example of how you can format this data to make it easy to read and process:
Room Name (example)
Moderators: (if a moderated resource)
- Newly created resources take several hours to propagate into the GAL. We recommended submitting creation requests a day or two before its needed.
- Only email account hosted by the Clemson Exchange server can be added to resources. Student, Gmail, Hotmail etc. accounts are not eligible.
- If the standard resource codes do not fit your need, new ones can be created. Just ask!
Naming Conventions for Clemson Exchange resources.
Examples of room resources include:
unio-L218ConfRoom (University Union Room L218 Conference Room)
itc_-0008ConfRoom (ITC Conference Room 8)
All Other Resources:
Examples of other resources include:
2803-cal_TSPclass (Department 2803 TSP Class Schedule)
2803-cal_SCGstu (Department 2803 DSS Student Schedule)
2803-projTSPclass2 (Department 2803 Projector 2 for TSP classes)
2803-autoCour_SUV (Department 2803 SUV used for courier runs)
4007-compMCC_Dell3 (Department 4007 MCC Dell laptop number 3)
If you have more questions, email ITHELP@clemson.edu or call 864-656-3494.