Purchasing a LaptopEstimated Reading Time: 2 Minutes
This article is aimed at incoming students or their family members looking for direction on purchasing a laptop for school. If you are an employee, you can email ITHelp@clemson.edu and your local support can assist you with picking and purchasing a computer.
Clemson requires that all students have a laptop, and to simplify the process or finding and purchasing a laptop, CCIT develops a list of recommended laptops for incoming students based on current technology standards and the input of various colleges and departments.
While we are equipped to help you with any make/model of laptop you may have, there are several benefits to buying a recommended laptop:
- Our support model is designed to provide quality service to those who purchase a recommended model.
- CCIT has negotiated special pricing for the recommended laptops. This pricing includes Clemson software pre-installed on the Windows laptops (additional Clemson software will be installed during laptop workshops). If at any time, your operating system stops working on your Windows laptop, it can be totally re-imaged. For a listing of additional available software, check our web site.
- All recommended Windows laptops include a four year warranty + four year accidental damage coverage. Note: the warranty only covers the battery for 1 year, and the accidental damage coverage DOES NOT cover damage to the charger nor does it cover theft, fire, or loss.
- The recommended Apple laptops purchased on-campus include one year of AppleCare warranty, which does not include accidental damage coverage. Two additional years of AppleCare warranty can be purchased. CCIT highly recommends the purchase of Safeware accidental damage coverage (see more here) as non-warranty repairs can be very expensive!
- On campus repair service is provided for your recommended laptop. Our technicians are more familiar with the recommended laptops and we have priority access to replacement parts. If your recommended Windows laptop requires extensive hardware service, you may use one of the loaner laptops (depending upon availability) for your academic needs. (There are no loaners available for Apple computers.)
- If you have a laptop like many of your fellow students, it’s easy to share parts such as power supplies and batteries.
If you decide to purchase a recommended laptop through the university, you can find purchasing information and links here: https://ccit.clemson.edu/support/current-students/laptops/
If you choose to buy a different laptop, you should ensure that it meets or exceeds the specifications of our “mainstream” model(s).