Each year CCIT develops a list a recommended laptops for incoming students based on current technology standards and the input of various colleges and departments. This year we will be offering Dell, Lenovo, a Microsoft Surface model, and several Apple models.
You can find detailed specifications on the recommended models here.
While we are equipped to help you with any make/model of laptop you may have, there are several benefits to buying a recommended laptop:
- Our support model is designed to provide quality service to those who purchase a recommended model.
- CCIT has negotiated special pricing for the recommended laptops. Clemson software can be installed online using CCIT Software Center or CCIT Mac installers. If at any time, your operating system stops working on your Windows laptop, it can be totally re-imaged at the CCIT Support Center. For a listing of additional available software, check our web site.
- All recommended Windows laptops include a four year warranty + four year accidental damage coverage. Note: the warranty only covers the battery for 1 year, and the accidental damage coverage DOES NOT cover damage to the charger nor does it cover theft, fire, or loss.
- The recommended Apple laptops purchased on-campus include one year of AppleCare warranty, which does not include accidental damage coverage. Two additional years of AppleCare warranty can be purchased. CCIT highly recommends the purchase of Safeware accidental damage coverage as non-warranty repairs can be very expensive! To purchase Safeware, contact the Clemson Computer Store at 864.656.1563.
- On campus repair service is provided for your recommended laptop. Our technicians are more familiar with the recommended laptops and we have priority access to replacement parts. If your recommended Windows or Apple laptop requires extensive hardware service, you may use one of the loaner laptops (depending upon availability) for your academic needs.
- If you have a laptop like many of your fellow students, it’s easy to share parts such as power supplies and batteries.
Note: Chromebooks, Netbooks, and iPads and other light-use portable computing devices are not a viable option as your primary laptop. Support for these devices is extremely limited and consists only of setting up the wireless configuration and installing anti-virus software as required.
How do I set up my laptop for use at Clemson?
Visit the laptop setup page to find online resources to guide you through setting up your laptop or to register for an in-person Laptop Setup Workshop. (Due to COVID-19, there will be no in-person Laptop Setup Workshops for Fall 2020)
Article ID: 1639
Created On: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 2:38 PM
Last Updated On: Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:42 AM
Online URL: https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=1639