OneDrive File Sharing Options
ONEDRIVE SHARE PERMISSIONS
Below is a description of each option in the “Share” settings. When sharing with people (students, faculty, or staff) at Clemson, the People in Clemson University with the link audience is recommended, and Set Password is not recommended.
1. Audience Setting Options:
- Anyone with a Link – With this setting, anyone who clicks the link can have access, but this access must expire within 30 days.
- People in Clemson University with the link – (Recommended) With this setting, anyone who can login with Clemson username and password and access the file.
- People with existing access – With this setting, those who were invited to the OneDrive folder where the file lives and those previously invited to the file will be able to access the file. This setting is often used when a collaborator or viewer cannot remember how to access the file and you need to send them a link.
- Specific People - With this setting, you can invite new people to access your file.
2. Other Setting Options: (When “People with existing access” is selected, none of these are available.)
- Allow editing – If this checkbox is checked, then the specified audience can edit the document.
- Open in review mode only – Only available for Word files, this setting restricts the selected audience’s editing rights so that they can only leave suggested changes and comments when this toggle is in the “On” position.
- Expires […] – When the “Anyone with a link” audience is selected, this field sets the date when this audience will no longer be able to access the file. This date must be within 30 days of the day that access is granted.
- Set Password – This field can be used to add an extra layer of security that is not generally necessary for Canvas courses. Forgotten passwords may cause you to lose access to your file.
- Block download – If “Allow editing” is unchecked, it is possible to toggle this setting so that audiences will not be allowed to download the file.
For alternate descriptions of these setting options, see Share OneDrive files and folders.
If you have more questions, email ITHELP@clemson.edu or call 864-656-3494.
Article ID: 2115
Created On: Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM
Last Updated On: Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 9:00 AM
Online URL: https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=2115