HOW TO: Address Mail in Microsoft Outlook for Exchange
To address mail in Microsoft Outlook for Exchange, please follow these steps:
- Enter an address in the "To:" field of the message creation window.
- Select recipients from the Address Book.
When using the "To:" field, you can do one of the following:
- Enter a complete email address in the form username@domain (ex. email@example.com).
- Enter the username only (without @domain) of someone listed in the Exchange Address Book. If the end user does not have an Exchange account, Exchange will try to resolve the username against the Global Address List (GAL). If it succeeds, the message will be delivered to the preferred email address of that user. If it cannot resolve the username, a red line will appear under the username or address in the "To:" field.
- Enter a name that appears in the Exchange Address Book, in the GAL, or in your Contacts. If the name is unique, the message will be sent. If the name is not unique and appears in the Exchange Address Book, you will be presented with a list of matches from which to choose.
Note: When entering multiple addresses for recipients, separate the addresses with a semicolon.
When using the Address Book, please follow the instructions below:
- With the message window open, from the Tools menu, select Address Book. You can also click the "To:" button to open the Address Book. (On a mac, you can click the Address Book icon to the left of the "To:" field.)
- Find the name of the intended recipient by selecting from the list or typing a name into the search box.
- Highlight the name, and click the appropriate box (i.e., To-> for primary recipient, Cc-> for carbon copy, or Bcc-> for blind carbon copy).
- When finished, click OK.
Article ID: 101
Created On: Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Last Updated On: Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Online URL: https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=101